Malediction is one of the Capstone Projects developed at UCF's FIEA program by the Desert Beagle team. I was the UI Artist for this project and worked on various assets such as cross-hairs, health-bars, and menu screens. Below you will find the trailer for Malediction and UI concepts and and assets I have created for the game.
Zach J. Meyer
My name is Zach Meyer. I have just graduated from the University of Central Florida's FIEA Program (Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy), completing my Master of Science in Interactive Entertainment with a concentration in 3D modeling. I have also enjoyed working on projects as the UI artist.
I have specifically focused on digital/computer generated art throughout my education. Before my master’s degree, I graduated from Alma College and my double major was in Art and Design, and New Media Studies where I took many game/digital art centered classes (I also earned minor in psychology because I have always been fascinated by what motivates people). I even attended a fine and performing arts high school, Arts Academy in the Woods, where I majored in Art and Multimedia.
I love art and love the field. I am very passionate about digital and game art and enjoy 3D modeling, UI art, and all the related technologies. Because I have almost completed my graduate degree, my next goal is to find a career using my skills in the field.
One of the essentials I have learned is the art pipeline for 3D modeling and several programs used for game and computer art. I use Zbrush for sculpting high poly models and Maya for creating topology and UVs from these Zbrush models to turn them into game resolution assets. I have worked on organic assets such as characters and creatures along with hard surface assets such as weapons, robots, vehicles, and machinery. One of my best skills is creating hard surface assets. Other programs I use often are Marmoset for baking my HiRes models to my LowRes assets and Substance Painter for creating textures for the assets. I have learned to use game engines such as Unreal and Unity to render my models. I was introduced to Unreal at FIEA, and have used Unity both while working on my undergrad at Alma and during my Virtual Reality internship at the University of Virginia. Currently at FIEA, we frequently use the control system, Perforce, for all of our projects. I have also been introduced to other aspects of digital art such as basic rigging and basic 3D animation, along with basic coding from languages such as Python and Processing. I also have extensive experience with the Adobe Suite including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and After Effects.
Along with these programs for game and digital art, I have a background in traditional art. I have learned to work with a variety of styles and have an understanding of art essentials such as figure drawing, color theory, lighting, and shape language. My artwork has been shown in over 30 exhibitions.
Art is an incredibly important part of my life, especially in the computer world. I would love to go into the field that I enjoy the most and make a contribution with my artistic skills to the places I work. Thank you for taking your time reading a little bit about me. Please, enjoy my art!
Big Arts Sanibel Island - International Society of Experimental Artists - Florida, Don’t Fall Asleep - pen on paper, 2017
Northville Art House - West of Center - Michigan, Loss of Her Self Control - pen on paper, 2017
Pine River Anthology - Alma College, Demon Possession – animation, 2017
Alden B. Dow Museum - Greater Michigan Art Exhibition, Millennial - oil on canvas, 2016
Tangent Gallery - Damned IX Exhibition - Detroit, Michigan, Loss of Her Self Control - pen on paper, 2016
Marin Society of Artists - Dreams Exhibition - San Rafael, California, Don’t Fall Asleep - pen on paper, 2016
Chris Sorensen Studio - Geek Artistique Exhibition - Fresno, California, Your Best Friend – digital, 2016
Gallery 194 - Steampunk Show - Lapeer, Michigan, Fresh, Seasoned, Midst, and Ready to Fly – digital, 2016
Tangent Gallery - Damned VIII Exhibition - Detroit, Michigan, Unseen - acrylic on canvas, 2015
Meekers Classic Sheepdog Art Exhibition – Colorado, Puppy Love - acrylic on canvas, Children’s
Choice Award, 2015
Pine River Anthology - Alma College, The Haunting - pencil on paper and Pumpkin - colored pencils, 2014
Museum of Contemporary Art - Detroit, Michigan - AAW Exhibition, 20 of my art pieces, 2013
Clinton River Day Logo Contest - Michigan, First Place, design used for promotional materials, 2013
SAMPLING OF ADDITIONAL PREVIOUS EXHIBITIONS AND AWARDS
Crop calendar for Clarkston, Michigan Fruit Market
Trader Joes art exhibition
Rackham Symphony Peace Postcard, 1st place
AIM Exhibition, Cranbrook Museum
Stevenvlog - personalized artwork
Landmark Editions Logo Contest, 1st place
State of Michigan, DEQ Earth Day Poster
State of Michigan Severe Weather Awareness Contest, 1st place
Arts and Apples, grand prize winner
Anton Art Center, AAW exhibition
Lion’s Peace Poster, 1st in state
Detroit Zoo Year of the Frog, best in class
NewsCurrents Cartoon Contest, 2nd place
National Zoo Stomp Out Carbon
Red Vines - artwork copied in candy boxes
My Feenix art competition, 2nd place
My first competition at 9 years old:
International Environmental Children’s Drawing Contest, 1st place USA, exhibited at the United Nations in New York and Japan
I also illustrated for Stone Soup magazine from 2006 - 2009
I also self-published a book at age 14:
- Creator of UE4 and Unity assets including props, environment pieces, and characters for video games and other experiences
-Builder of high poly models to bake and low poly game resolution models to make topology and materials for game assets
• ZBrush - Creating high poly character and environment assets for video games.
• Maya - Creating UV Maps, low poly and hard surface character and environment assets for video games.
• Substance Painter/Designer - Creating materials, textures, and baking for character and environment assets.
• Marmoset Toolbag - Baking high poly models into low poly game models
• Interpret Conceptual Art into 3D Models - Projects developed throughout graduate work
• Virtual Reality - Working with Unreal and Unity engines to develop VR experiences and research test instrument
• Adobe Suite - Including Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Flash, Lightroom, and Illustrator - Extensive use over several years
• UI Art - Creating 2D and 3D assets to use for UI such as Corss-Hairs, Health Bars, and Menu Screens
• Tiling/Pixel Sprite Design/2D Animation - Introduced to in classes, personal use for video games, joint projects, and for fun
• Figure drawing, character design, color theory, composition, concept art/multi-media, and promotional art - Extensive experience
• Pipeline and Workflow
• Teamwork and art lead positions
• Introduced to in FIEA classes - Rigging and skinning, 3D animation, Unreal Blueprints, lighting in Unreal, game analysis and theory, paper prototyping
• Other programs and computer languages - Internship, classwork, personal experience in - GameMaker 7, GamerMaker 8, and GameMaker Studio 1.4
• Introduced to 3D printing, Processing, Python using Pygame, C# within Unity